The FIESTA project works on integrating IoT platforms, testbeds and associated silo applications. FIESTA will open up new opportunities in the development and deployment of experiments that exploit data and capabilities from multiple testbeds. The FIESTA infrastructure will enable experimenters to use a single EaaS API (i.e. the FIESTA-IoT EaaS API) for executing experiments over multiple IoT federated testbeds in a testbed agnostic way i.e. like accessing a single large scale virtualized testbed.
The main goal of the FIESTA project is to open new horizons in the development and deployment of IoT applications and experiments at a EU (and global) scale, based on the interconnection and interoperability of diverse IoT platforms and testbeds. FIESTA project’s experimental infrastructure will provide European experimenters in the IoT domain with the unique capability for accessing to and sharing IoT datasets in a testbed-agnostic way. Execution of experiments across multiple IoT testbeds, based on a single API for submitting the experiment and a single set of credentials for the researcher and the portability of IoT experiments across different testbeds and the provision of interoperable standards-based IoT/cloud interfaces over diverseIoT experimental facilities.
The main goal of the FIESTA project is to open new horizons in the development and deployment of IoT applications and experiments at the EU and beyond boundaries (global scale), based on the interconnection and interoperability of diverse IoT platforms and testbeds.
The FIESTA project’s experimental infrastructure will provide to the European experimenters in the IoT domain with the following unique capabilities:
- Access to and sharing of IoT datasets in a testbed-agnostic way. FIESTA aims to provide to researchers with tools for accessing IoT data resources (including Linked sensor data sets) independently of their source IoT platform/testbed.
- Enable execution of experiments across multiple IoT testbeds, based on a single API for submitting the experiment and a single set of credentials for the researcher.
- Portability of IoT experiments across different testbeds, through the provision of interoperable standards-based IoT/cloud interfaces over diverse IoT experimental facilities.
|“FIESTA brings Experimentation as a Service close to users by means of Orchestration and Federation APIs”|
Beyond the validation of FIESTA infrastructure on the basis of practical experiments and the integration of additional IoT testbeds, the project works on specifying concrete best practices for the federation of testbeds (addressed to testbed owners/administrators) wishing to become part of the virtualized meta-cloud infrastructure of the project. Similar best practices will be also produced for European researchers and enterprises (including SMEs) wishing to design and execute experiments over the FIESTA-IoT EaaS infrastructure. These best practices will be disseminated as widely as possible, as part of the project’s efforts to achieve EU-wide/global outreach. The attraction and engagement of researchers and enterprises in the use of the FIESTA EaaS infrastructure will be another vehicle for the sustainability and wider use of the project’s results.
FIESTA-IoT project will issue, manage and exploit to get involved third-parties in the project.
- To ensure the design and integration (within FIESTA-IoT) of more innovative experiments, through the involvement of additional partners in the project (including SMEs). The additional experiments will focus on demonstrating the added-value functionalities of the FIESTA experimental infrastructure.
- To expand the FIESTA-IoT experimental infrastructure on the basis of additional testbeds. In this case the new partners will undertake to contribute additional testbeds and to demonstrate their blending and interoperability with other testbeds (already adapted to FIESTA-IoT). As part of this blending, the owners of these testbeds will also engage with the project’s global market confidence programme, which will provide them with the means to auditing the interoperability and openness of their platforms.
The involvement of third-parties will therefore play an instrumental role for the large scale validation of the FIESTA-IoT experimental infrastructure, but also for the take-up of the project’s global market confidence programme on IoT interoperability. It will be also a critical step to the gradual evaluation of FIESTA-IoT towards an infrastructure/ecosystem for global IoT experimentation.